Author Topic: 8n lift cover  (Read 5221 times)

kentstang66

• View Profile
8n lift cover
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
  I have my tractor split and Iam working on dismantling the rearend to wire brush it to get it ready for paint.  Ive taken all the bolts out of the lift cover and it still wont pull out of there.  Ive taken both the inspection covers off and I see a linkage that might be holding me up but my book didnt say to anything with it.  I was hopin someone might have had the same run in as me and can lend me some help.  I appreciate it thank you nick

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: 8n lift cover
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »
kentstang66-- 

I'm much more familiar with the 9 & 2N but the 8N is similar -- the control linkages must be disconnected to remove the top cover from the rest of the tractor.  My guess is that these are the linkages you refer to.  There should be pins on either side of the pump -- pull the cotter keys & pins and away you go. 

Hope this helps,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

kentstang66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:07:27 AM »
   Well Ill give it a shot here shortly.  Would you recommend dismantling the entire rearend to in spect it or is there really anything i need to worry about replacing before I go and paint the housing?

Pete P.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »
If it worked properly & quietly and didn't leak then don't mess with it.  If you decide to drop the pump, clean the sump out but as above, don't dig into it if its doing what its supposed to.

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

kentstang66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 07:29:49 PM »
  I bought this tractor with a bad engine, so I really dont know how well it worked but I havent seen any leaks.

kentstang66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
  Well i have seemed to get the cover off.  I ended up dropping the sump first but then it was long and the cover came right out.  Thanks for the help