Author Topic: 9N + or - ground?  (Read 6114 times)

9nford

• Administrator
    • View Profile
9N + or - ground?
« on: March 05, 2007, 02:02:19 PM »
Subject:   9N + or - ground?
Name:   i967mustang
Date Posted:   Oct 14, 06 - 7:42 PM
IP Address:   69.249.37.61
Email:   i967mustang@hotmail.com
Message:   I have been working on this tractor for almost a year, finally got it done and running. Now I'm not sure if it is supposed to be positive or negative ground. Right now I have it hooked up Negative ground and it starts and runs, but should it be positve ground? What will happen if I just switch the battery around? Thanks, John

9nford

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 9N + or - ground?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
Subject:   Re: 9N + or - ground?
Name:   Gregg E
Date Posted:   Oct 29, 06 - 5:10 AM
IP Address:   64.85.251.36
Email:   2gs@astound.net
Message:   on 1939-1941 9N's (with original generator, not 12 volt conversion) they were wired as positive ground. If its working dont mess with it.

ibTALLwalt

• View Profile
Re: 9N + or - ground?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
I too have one that is now Negative ground, but want to replace the cut out, and the suppliers page (Fun Time) says the cut out that they sell is for "Postive Ground". 

1.  Can I switch grounding on my 40 9n now and install this cut out without damaging anything or the new cut out ? 

My issue is that the battery goes dead and I surmise that the cut out is the culprit, as the gen puts out fine and when the battery is charged the system and the 9 runs fine. 

I can and have arc'd the existing cut out, and the ammeter shows positive activity.  But, when I shut the 9 off and want to restart in the morning, the battery is dead... any one have some thoughts on these issues?..

Thanks, ibTALLwalt.
I do not want the government to take away my human dignity and insure me  of anything more than normal security.
and, I don't want handouts.... John Wayne.