Author Topic: My first 9n and it won't start!!  (Read 6537 times)

nj9n

• View Profile
My first 9n and it won't start!!
« on: March 21, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
I just got my first 9N- 1941 that has been converted to 12v. It is getting gas, I took the carb appart and it was clean. (I touched it up and evrything works good) It was not giving any spark to the plugs, so I started to clean all the conections. The wire from the resistor to the coil was cleaned and now it has spark. Still won't start. The spark is red/orange and not very good. I don't want to start replacing parts blindly till it works, but I suspect the coil. Can anyone offer me advice on my situation? Thank you.

barney

Re: My first 9n and it won't start!!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 01:56:41 PM »
Does it still have the original coil? I am not all that familiar with 12v conversions, but coil problems on the 6v version were common. Also make sure the resister is not dropping too much voltage. If they are using the original 6v resister, it may have been overheated using 12v...Many of the conversion were very creative in there approach...good luck
..Does it have compression? Are the plugs wet?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 01:58:36 PM by 9nford »

nj9n

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:40:50 PM »
It has a old looking coil. I hope its its a 12v, I did'nt convert it myself. I broke down and orderd a new one, hopefully its at fault. Compression lookes good (it turned over a few times and sounds good), but i did'nt check it or remove any plugs. I used a plug laying around to check the spark. It has "new" looking plugs in it. I will check them better when I put the new coil in. Thanks for the help.

Gunny

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 08:57:57 PM »
 I started with the same problem, and now have it started, but it lacks power under load. A friend of mine found a bad relay from the power switch to the coil. We bypassed the relay and it started. I have since replaced: coil, dist. cap, points & condesor and plugs & wires just trying to get the power up. It seems to run fine until I put it under a load, then it wants to choke out and will if I don't remove load.