Author Topic: Coil/wiring identification questions  (Read 4055 times)

Justin

• View Profile
Coil/wiring identification questions
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:17:37 PM »
New to the the forum and the 9N. Though handy with a wrench I have not work on a tractor before. I assume that the tractor has had a 12volt conversion. It has a GM alternator,12 volt battery, and I'm getting 12 volts at the coil. There is a ballast resistor that is in circuit from the ignition switch to the coil. It smokes slightly when i turn the ignition switch on.?? Is this normal?? Anyway I'm not getting fire from the coil. Getting fire to the coil though. Also, I looked at the wiring diagram @ the home page and the P2 wire from the alternator was wired direct to the coil.(providing 12v. to a 6v. coil) My thought is that the coil is obviously burned out.  SO, big question is can i just buy a 12v coil with an internal resistor and take out the in-line resistor?

One other question, in the wiring diagram what is the " terminal block" referring to?

9nford

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Coil/wiring identification questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
Not sure you can purchase a 12 volt coil for a 9N. It sounds like the coil is shorted.. I would run a 6 volt coil with the resistor..
Get a new resistor ...

Justin

• View Profile
Re: Coil/wiring identification questions
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
I bought a 12 volt with 2.5 ohm internal resistor for a 8n front mount. Fits just fine.  I thought I would have to take out the in-line resistor, so for the moment it is just bypassed with a jumper wire. Fire'd right up.When I take off the jumeper wire it bogs down and dies!!! Here's the real kicker. I can't find the "original ballast resistor" anywhere!!!! I've looked all over the tractor.... Yet from what I've read it shouldn't work without it. (I've searched the web for pics of the orignal ballast and there is no such animal on my 9N) By the way my dad got it for $500 from a masonic brother.The brother  got it for work done, long story short. It didn't run when we got it and the wiring is nothing like what's on the diagrams I've seen. At one point there's a push button  that comes from the alt p1 position to the ignition.?? What's that about?

5oes anyone know the total resistance for a 12 vot system ?  5 or 2..5 ohm?                                                             

Thanks, Justin ,East Texas