Author Topic: 9N Starting Issue  (Read 7398 times)

Taterz

• View Profile
9N Starting Issue
« on: May 08, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »
I recently purchased a 1941 9N that has been converted to a 12 volt system. I am not gettng any fire at all. My question is, when one is converted is the coil changed out to a 12 volt? Also is there anyway to ckeck the coil? I have burned three resistors up already. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jamesfpop

• View Profile
Re: 9N Starting Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:32:19 PM »
Have you taken the distributer and coil apart to see if parts fall out and the sort? When you take it apart, replace just about all the parts <$100. Points, rotor bug, condenser, and coil should get the ball rolling. The 6v coil should work fine with the resistors installed. I don't know exactly what was wrong with mine but I replaced it with electronic ignition only to find carb was the bigger issue.
JP

Taterz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Thanks! I replaced the coil withn a 12 volt. It firs up now but runs rough. I have trash in the tank and bowl. Any suggestions on cleaning out the tank?

Veronica Mangan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »
Hi -
I'm new to the forum, but excited to find you.  Can you recommend the best place for parts?  I'd like to buy a new coil for my 9N.
Veronica

Taterz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
I have a neat place close to here. Check out his website.
www.redlandhill.com

Veronica Mangan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »
Hi Taterz
Thanks so much, I checked out his website.  Now I have to figure out if I need a 6 volt or 12 volt coil.  I'm to look for a resistor, I guess.  Unfortunately, I am 250 miles away from my little tractor, so I can't go out and look at it.  Was wanting to order a part so it could meet me at the tractor, next week.

Any comments, from anyone, on the 6 volt/12 volt issue would be appreciated.  My tractor has been converted to 12 volts, has the GM alternator, but don't know about the coil....My husband says he thought he saw a resistor. 

Veronica

Taterz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
I had a 6 volt coil that went bad. A friend of the family said to replace it with a 12 volt coil and put another resestor on it. I did just that. The only issue i have now is with the carb. Still trying to get it straightened out.