Author Topic: just bought a tractor  (Read 5087 times)

bankeny

• View Profile
just bought a tractor
« on: May 20, 2007, 08:40:56 PM »
I bought an old Ford tractor.  It has plate on one side that says Dearborn Farm Equipment, Mod#14-3, serial number 1879.  On the motor, on another plate, its has *8N72038*.  It has the large six lug rear wheels, which I believe is a 9N Ford.  From this info can anyone help me identify what I have purchased?  (seller told me it was a 1940 8N, but I understand 8N's weren't built until 1947.)

Thanks!

jimski2

• View Profile
Re: just bought a tractor
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:31:14 AM »
According to my serial# book, Ford 8n tractors in 1948 had #'s between 37908 & 141369.

stoney303

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
If it is a 1940, then it would be a 9N. The 8N was not built until 1947 or 48. I believe it was in 1948. I have a 1946 and it is a 9N.

stoney303

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 06:15:32 AM »
Well, you never know what you'll learn. When I posted my last message to you, I was unsure so I decided to do some digging. According to what I found, the 9N was made up until 1941 at which time it became the 2N. They were made until 1947 and the 8N was born. If you want to know for sure, look at the left side of the engine block. That's where you will find the serial number. Then you can check www.9nford.com and match your serial number to the list. That will tell you for sure what year it is and what model it is. In my case, I have a 1946 2N...I thought it was a 9N until I found this info. The weird thing is that the 2n's serial numbers still start with 9N. If it has a star before and after the serial number that means it has steel cylinder sleeves. If it has a diamond before and after the serial number, it has cast iron sleeves. Ford used the letter "I" for a 1 in the serial number. Hope this helps. Have a great one and keep um plowin'!

bankeny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 07:53:42 PM »
Thanks for all of the info.  It looks like my tractor has the 9N rear axle, wheels, etc, and an 8N motor, since the serial number starts with "8N".  The tractor has a hydraulic front end loader, made by Dearborn Equipment Co and the only flaws are a bucket that needs to be rebuilt and some very old hydraulic hoses that we will replace.  I'm going to clean it up and restore the red and gray paint scheme.  I haven't live on a farm for over 40 years, had a "modern" 1961 Massey Ferguson when I was a kid, so it's been a while since I've used a tractor.  I started the old Ford up and it is just like riding a bicycle, you never really forget!  Got 9 acres to clean up, spruce up, work on the deer, turkey, elk habitat, so I can't wait to get the tractor to work!  Again, thanks for all of your inputs.