Author Topic: New to the 9N world and the forum!  (Read 8680 times)

TSGB826

• I'll always bleed blue
    • View Profile
New to the 9N world and the forum!
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »
Welp, A good place to start looking for information is a forum where its all about these old tractors. My wife and I just bought a 9N (i'll figure out the year here in a few after I lift the serial number) and while she isn't the prettiest girl on the block...She will get the job done!

A couple quick questions...the ring gear on the flywheel has about as many teeth as a resident of Victor, Colorado (inside joke) and while it will turn over, it takes the starter a LOOOOONG time to grab the gear and crank it. I've read quite a bit on how to replace the gear and it seems pretty simple, there HAS to be simple way to do it without removing the ENTIRE motor!

My initial thought was to move the block forward, and separate it at the transmission...Has anyone replaced a ring gear doing it this way or have y'all completely removed the block?

Thanks for adding me in, and glad to find a place where there is a lot of 9N knowledge!
Nate
“Of course you didn't DO it. You just happened to start your wind sprints in front of the department store, the VCR is extra weight, and the security guards were providing MOTIVATION.”

jmw1461

• View Profile
Re: New to the 9N world and the forum!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 02:57:24 AM »
Yes, you can separate between the engine and transmission. I have done this by putting a chain or new belt around the steering wheel column, taking the steering unit bolts loose and raising it up gently. Make sure you shut off the gas valve and unhook the battery for safety. Drive wedge block on the underneath side of front axle to keep the front from moving and remove starter. Take the bolts out of bell housing and gentle start to pry apart. only raise steering assembly just enough to get by. The radius rods will also have to be disconnected. Be careful with the battery. I personally just remove it.
Once you have separated the halves remove the clutch assembly and flywheel and I use a torch to cut off the old ring gear. Make sure the new ring gear is oriented correctly. Heat ring gear and seat while gear is hot.
Now there are some nuances that you will figure out.
Also replace the starter drive and inspect clutch components and replace all seals and parts that are questionable.
You will use a engine hoist and floor jack. Care should be used as not to damage any sheet metal or other parts.
This is a flat raters way. If you do not feel comfortable doing this remove sheet metal with gas tank and split at engine /transmission. 

TSGB826

• I'll always bleed blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
I'll probably remove the gas tank and the hood all at once anyways to spray it with a new coat of paint anyways. My wife wants to paint it in the original Ford Blue so it'll look a bit different. In theory, I should be able to lift the front end under the front support where the motor bolts into the frame, then I'll be kosher. Time will tell, I just don't feel like removing the entire motor just to replace the ring gear.
Nate
“Of course you didn't DO it. You just happened to start your wind sprints in front of the department store, the VCR is extra weight, and the security guards were providing MOTIVATION.”

jmw1461

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »
I put a bottle jack with a piece of wood between the engine pan at the rear of the engine and the jack screw. If you get the hood assembly of you will see there is not much to it. If you decide to leave the steering assembly on the transmission the you will have to take the tie rod ends on the assembly off.

JeraldCul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 02:26:49 AM »
I actually prefer these weight loss shakes and put a bottle jack with a piece of wood between the engine pan at the rear of the engine and the jack screw. If you get the hood assembly of you will see there is not much to it. If you decide to leave the steering assembly on the transmission the you will have to take the tie rod ends on the assembly off.

Have these boards moved to a Facebook group or something?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 06:33:30 AM by JeraldCul »