Author Topic: No start  (Read 6076 times)

M_cheek

• View Profile
No start
« on: June 09, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »
I have a 1st yr 8n (low serial no, front mount dist) that's been converted to 12v, i dont have any spark. Not sure if they took something out during conversion, but cant locate a balance resistor. Not sure if that's part of the problem or not. Dont even get a spark from primary wire at coil. Help!

Darell

• View Profile
Re: No start
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:35:45 PM »
There should be a resister originally mounted on the backside of the instrument panel,  This would be located up by the voltage gauge backside. This where the key switch wires are connected. There are 3 terminals with 2 on top and 1 lower.  Put 1 key wire on the top left terminal and the other on the lower terminal.  Check for continuety on those 2 post with key turned on. If no continuety, replace thst resisterl.  This is one of the easiest place to start.  I would recommend getting a shop manual ITF04.  These shop manuals have all of the part numbers with a great blowup of all the parts on the 8,2, and 9n's.  Wiring diagrams are in there as well.  I got mine from Tractoropolis.com. and they are around $36.00 plus shipping.

M_cheek

• View Profile
Re: No start
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 05:17:32 AM »
There is no resistor. I guess whoever converted it before we bought it removed it. Looks like I'm gonna have to really do some serious wiring diagnostics now lol. I do have a copy of the original manual that my son found online and printed off that has a wiring diagram in it, but i may locate the on yoiu suggested also. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.