Author Topic: 9n PTO and Lift problems  (Read 30193 times)

FloridaBoy

• View Profile
9n PTO and Lift problems
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:05:31 PM »
Hi gang.  I'm new to the forum and new to 9n ownership.  I just bought a 1939, and apparently I wasn't paying attention when I looked it over.  It turns out that the lift will work ONLY when the PTO is engaged.  No PTO, no lift.  It would not be that big of a deal pulling a disk, but when bush hogging, it makes for rough starts.  Any ideas on what the problem could be?

9nford

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 9n PTO and Lift problems
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »
This is normal for 9ns and 8ns they do not have live power. You can purchase a clutch for the PTO... they work great for brush hogging.

gotlift

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:15:25 AM »
Who makes the clutch kit for the PTO?

jamesfpop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »
Anyone have a fix for the 3-point moving on its own. I release the handle and the next thing I know the implement is all the way up or all the way down.

Got a cure for that?

rluscomb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »
the cure for that is the Zanethang.com

lha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:09:24 AM »
You have to get used to the way these machines operate.The 9n,2n,8ns were a technological marvel in their day,but are now crude.they were the first ones to offer 3pt hitch with hydraulics,you wouldn't buy a T model ford expecting it to have A/C,P/S,auto,cruice control as those things didn't come out for years.If you are not using the lift,disengage by using the pto shifter by your left heel.You should get a manual for your tractor.---lha

jqwiii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »
That is the way it works and it is one of the negatives of the 9N... sorry, i.e. the PTO has to be engaged to power the lift.

jeep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:49:51 PM »
If the lift arms won't stay where you left them ,there out of ajustment. Get a manual.

lha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 03:00:55 AM »
In 1939 there was no such thing as live hydraulics.These machines were the state of the art in their day.It was 20yrs later before that existed.The pto drives the pump, so only works when the clutch is out,and pto is engaged.When you get used to it ,it's not a problem,just rig up a set of chains to go from the pins on implements to the top link area. you will be able to adjust the minimum hight of the hog,so it stays where you want it thus the name"stay chains".---lha

andersonat053201

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 11:47:21 AM »
When bush hogging I notice my bush hog doesn't stay at the height I put it at. The hydraulics seem to work OK. What do people do that have to do a lot of bush hogging? also, I shear a lot of pins, is that normal?  I am very new to my 1944 2N Ford Tractor and how to use it properly. I have all books and info on it just practical application is not common sense.

Thank you,

Abraham 

ibTALLwalt

• View Profile
Newbie also with 9n Lift problems
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »
HELLLLLLLLO.....anyone home ?....lol... seems to be quiet since last May... but, Hopefully, yall, are getting back on the site and can help out a new  41-9n owner.

9n running fine (well since I did some tinkering with it...), but now running good and the lift was working great, would hold the gannon up for days and not loose a smidgin on the setting...

Was doing some dirt moving yesterday and it was lifting and resetting without a hitch... moved to the back of the property and was trying to smooth out a gravel/dirt road we have and ran the box about 300' or so and the road was hard so the box did jump n bump when it hit a rock or two... and when I got the the end of the run.... no hydraulic lift... the PTO is live and running fine, the fluid is at the proper level... the temps were in the 40's ... but, one minute hydraulics work fine, then NADA...
Ok, Guru's.... chime in here and point me in the right directions.

Yes, I do have a manual...but sage advice, at times, saves hours on the learning curve.

IbTALLWalt... Thanks
I do not want the government to take away my human dignity and insure me  of anything more than normal security.
and, I don't want handouts.... John Wayne.

lha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 12:12:29 PM »
Look through the inspection plate[with the dipstick] and make sure that the control arms are hooked to each side of the control valve. Mine came off one time and explored many potential problems before discovering this simple problem.

Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 07:56:58 AM »
My lift arm is broken. How do you get the arm off of the tractor. The nut spins. There is a small bracket attatched by two nuts before I get into the pto/turret removal. Are these enouch?