Author Topic: 9N missing, pertronix ignition  (Read 3435 times)

Pete P.

• View Profile
9N missing, pertronix ignition
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »
My 9N is driving me nuts, maybe you fine folks can help.  Subject is a '40, begrudgingly converted to Pertronix electronic ignition but stubbornly still 6V pos. ground.  Since conversion she's been very reliable and maybe even a bit more powerful. 

Was plowing nicely for an hour or so when she started to missfire suddenly as if the spark were weak.  Nursed her back to the barn, found spark properly blue and strong on all cylinders but No. 3.  No. 3 was strong when it fired but it missed badly.  Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil.  Inspected and cleaned battery connections, switch connections, Pertronix connections to ground and switch.  Just incase, inspected fuel system; found good delivery to carb & no improvement on choking.  No visible play in camshaft distributor end, no unusual wear on distributor or old cap.  Still no improvement at all.

Does anyone have experience with these Pertronix modules -- can they fail intermittently in only one position (one cylinder?)  If not the module, what am I overlooking? 

Thanks in advance,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.