Author Topic: New iN Oklahoma  (Read 3869 times)

customroddr

• View Profile
New iN Oklahoma
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »
 Hi, my name is Tobie from Oklahoma. I traded my 97 GMC Yukon for a what I believe is a 1946 or 47 9N with a brush hog. I think he got the better deal but I was in the need. I don't know much about tractors this old but I know it starts and runs, it has an oil leak (seems to be rear seal), the lug nuts are lose on front wheels and when you tighten them they snap off, one finder is lose, the tool box needs replaced, and it seems that the PTO overrun shaft is very lose.... but it dose run and it dose cut the brush....
 I m not sure it is a 9N cause everything I have read says that they stop making 9N's in 1941 and that they used 9N parts to make the 2N but I have a 9N serial number (9N221277)
I have plans to work the poor thing as hard as I can but I am also going to fix her up as best I can. Hope this Forum Can be of some help.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 01:14:12 PM by customroddr »

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: New iN Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »
Your serial number does indeed come back to a 1946 2N.  SNs never did have a 2N prefix; I was told that this was because Ford intended the 2N to be a wartime temporary model only, but for whatever reason they just continued stamping them with 9N and whatever number was next.  The 8Ns however did start over with 8N1 in 1948.

Sounds like you have a lot of little fixing to do.  Those lug nuts scare me, they most certainly should not snap off and I wouldn't want to operate a brush hog if my front wheels were questionable.

Fenders are easy, replacement originals are available from multiple vendors.  Tool boxes are not as easy (battery acid leaks onto them and they rot out) but not as crucial if you 're just working her.  The oil leak is not good but so long as it's not severe and your clutch doesn't get inappropriately lubricated it's not terrible either.  Some folks say overrunning couplers are a must, others scoff at them -- I'll stay out of that arguement but theyr'e easily replaceable.  The ORC is NOT an original equipment item, just unpin it and it will come right off your PTO shaft, but be very very careful if you run a brush hog without one until you're used to it.  With no ORC, when you put in the clutch you WILL NOT STOP -- instead the flywheel momentum of the brush hog will push you forward several yards until either it stops moving or you take it out of gear.  Many people have gotten hurt because they were'nt prepared for this little old tractor quirk.  Also, the original PTO shaft is 1 1/8" as opposed to the new 1 3/8" but there are adaptors. 

Good luck,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

lha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:40:04 PM »
the overrun coupler also converts 1-1/8 in. to1-3/8 in. it has a pin holding it on,which sometimes becomes loose,but mine causes no problems,but needs grease occasionally.Igave $2000 for mine in good shape (41 9n),so Idont know how good a deal you got, but if youre happy then so be it.

customroddr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I have talked to guys down at local Tractor shop and they say the oil leak my be the front seal to the trannie and I can run it with low fluid and have no problems and to replace it when I change my clutch.
 They are looking for lugs and nuts for the front wheels cause I want to replace all of them before I do anything else.
 She is a clean little tractor and I want to even get more in time if money and wife allows just to play with fix up and sale. it seems they can be fun to work on.

jamesfpop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I live in Enid and enjoy the little ford I use occasionally. I am having problems my own with the little jewel I run. I just don't have time to work on it. The 9n I run is my father in laws. He bought several years ago and paid 2500 for it with out a brush cutter. He also installed an ORC and sway bars.

I installed electronic ignition in it and it has found a multitude of other problems since. I think it is all fuel system related, because it has to be under a load and then it starts sputtering and stuff. That is my next Thread Topic.

James