Author Topic: hard shifting  (Read 2925 times)

randlyn

• View Profile
hard shifting
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
Sometimes when I am using my brush hog I find it VERY difficult to shift into and out of gears. I checked my gear lube and it is OK. I lengthened the adjustable rod on the clutch a little. Is there supposed to be a zirk fitting on the rod that goes through the gear case? What can I do to make shifting easier? Will I have to get inside of the case?

lha

• View Profile
Re: hard shifting
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:21 PM »
make sure you are STOPPED when you shift,as the tranny is not synchronized like a newer vehicle,also" double clutching" may help. push slowly,with some force

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: hard shifting
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
Randlyn--

You say she's hard to shift in and out of gear while brush hogging.  If there is any force on the gears then they will be very hard to disengage -- this is normal.  On the other hand if the gears are stopped and no force on them then no, they should slide easily.  My guess is that you have tension on the gears, probably from the brush hog, and that is causing them to want to remain engaged.

Sliding gears out of mesh with tension on is not good, either.  As the gear teeth slide apart all the force will be borne by the remaining surface that is engaged -- this can cause the tips to break off or "shave down" over time.  When you want to stop or shift, etc. I recommend putting in the clutch and disengaging the PTO quickly, then making whatever shift you need on the transmission.  this way you can get the PTO out of gear under little or no load, and it's pretty easy to double clutch the PTO back in if you're just downshifting from 2 to 1 let's say.

On 9N and 2N the gear ratios are not condusive to double clutching.  If you want to go from 1 to 2 one typically slows down too much to get it in to 2.  3 is so fast that one has to be wound out in 2 and going down hill to upshift successfully.  Downshifting seems to go a bit easier but you get the point --  don't count on making the shift even if experienced in double clutch shifting.

The bushing where the clutch linkage goes through the bell housing to the throwout is not greasable, but it's probably a good idea to give it a few drops of 90 wt. every few working days.

Just my $ 0.02

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.