Author Topic: Buying a 9N - question  (Read 6693 times)

RetiredNavy

• View Profile
Buying a 9N - question
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was looking for an 8N but I have found a very nice 9N that has been mostly restored.  Many new parts, overhauled engine, etc.  My question is this, is there a difference between the hydraulic 3-point systems on the 8N and 9N?  Specifically how you would operate it?  How does this relate to "Zane's Thang"?

Thanks!

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: Buying a 9N - question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:29:02 PM »
The major differences between the 9N and 8N are that the 8N has a slight bit more horsepower, has a 4 speed transmission compared to the9N's 3 speed, and the 8N has an improved hydraulic system.

The 8N has position control -- essentially the tractor will hold an implement at whatever position you set it at.  The 9N has only draft control, which will not.  Without going into tons of detail (we can if you want) the 9N is fine for anything you want to do EXCEPT if it requires position control. 

The Zane Thang was developed for precisely that poblem; it is an external device that gives position control to tractors like the 9N that lack it.  I do not have first hand experience with Zane's Thangs but I hear that they work exceptionally well. 

Depending on what you want the tractor to do and how "old fashioned" you are willing to be with things like brush hogs, it may not matter.  Older equipment designed for use with pre-position control tractors used a solid top link and a chain & rack system where you lifted the implement up, set the chain on the rack where you wanted it, and let the hydraulics all the way down.  The implement then hung from the chains & top link at that height.  Not as handy as position control but it worked for many years. 

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

lha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
Got a 9-love it---lha

ArtilleryVet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:32:27 AM »
Pete

I'm trying to set my spreader at a specific height.  Is this why my hitch drops down when I hitch up to the spreader?   

Pete P.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »
Artillery Vet --

Probably.  The 9N will only hold a position if the control is all the way up and PTO stopped.  Even then, if there is any leak the arms will lower. 

The old chain & rack system I mentioned basically works by lifting the implement to the desired position, moving the chain yoke to a specific slot along the rigid top link and then dropping the 3PH all the way down.  The chain will allow the implement to hang from the top link and the lower arms will carry no weight.  You can then run the PTO (if desired) without worrying about the lift arms.

On the other hand, if you only want to hold an implement like a spreader (no PTO,) you should be able to lift it to where you want it, put your draft control lever all the way up and disengage the PTO.  It should stay there at least for a while unless there's a defect in the hydraulic system.  We rake hay and pull wagons this way with our '40 9N.

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.