Author Topic: 9N carb  (Read 3483 times)

younggeezer

• View Profile
9N carb
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:57:56 AM »
I have a 9N that has been sitting for a few years, new points & condenser and carb kit got it running, but it is not running right.  I need to manipulate the choke to keep it running, it does seem to run better when the when it is under a load.  Bottom line it I am tired of fooling with the old carb.  I’m thinking about buying a new Zenith carb.  Does anyone have any pros or cons about this swap?
Thanks,
Mike

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: 9N carb
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »
I can't say much about the Zenith carbs either way, but you might consider checking fuel flow by pulling the carb. drain plug.  The fuel should pour out in a steady stream, accept no other.  Forgive me if you've already done this but it could save you some $ -- the Ns have three fuel screens and it's easy to have one plugged.  First is in the tank, part of the riser tubes -- second is in the top of the settling bulb where it seals against the valve body, third is in the inlet elbow on the carb. 

My neighbor once fiddled around with ignition, carb and every other thing on his Furguson TO-20 for a month or more, only to find out it was a plugged screen in the riser tubes. 

Hope this helps,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.