Author Topic: Value of 9N Serial #500?  (Read 5199 times)

EarleJ

• View Profile
Value of 9N Serial #500?
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:31:10 AM »
Hi!
I stumbled into this website, so hopefully someone can help me.

My husband passed away recently, and I have a 9N Ford tractor, serial #500.  According to your charts, that would be either late 1939 or early 1940.

Bill loved this tractor.  It's in reasonably good shape, looks sharp, includes a mower deck, and is used to mow my pastures.  It runs, and has newer tires.  I'd love to keep it, but the gentleman that mows told me that he will NOT teach me to drive it.

Can anyone tell me how I can determine its value, and is there a good place to market it?  I tried to find the Jackson Area Antique Tractor Club, but there doesn't appear to be a website, and I don't know where to look after that.  I want to find it a good home.

I live in Jackson, MI.

Thank you, and please forgive my ignorance on this subject!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:45:47 AM by EarleJ »

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: Value of 9N Serial #500?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
Ms. EarleJ --

I'm very sorry for your loss.  I'm also sorry that your mower fellow won't show you how to operate such a fine machine.  It's really not that difficult if you are familiar with standard transmissions of the age, but that's another issue.

Serial number 9N500 is an early 1939; the first 1940 (in my reference book anyway) is 9N10234.  My 1940 is SN 9N35421 and the bill of sale is dated 20 August 1940.  In any event, the 1939s had an aluminum hood -- assuming yours has not been changed for some reason test it with a magnet -- if aluminum the magnet won't stick. 

If yours is indeed an authentic '39, don't let it go easily.  Around here, if the bidder is knowlegable, one will pay $ 2750 - 3250 for a running condition '39, approaching $ 3800 for a restored true '39.  Of course, each area is different.  For comparison, 1940 and newer 9Ns and 2Ns are selling at auction here for $ 2250 - 2500 for a good runner, maybe $ 3000 for a restored unit.  In my opinion, the low SN should inflate the price at least $ 500 from what similar condition newer 9Ns are bringing. 

I'm afraid I can't help you much as far as a place to market it in your area, but you might consider calling the folks at N-Complete.  They specialize in restoring & remanufacturing models N and I'm sure they'd love to get a solid '39, but I haven't a clue how well they'd pay given the distance.  They're at n-complete.com.

Too bad we aren't closer, I'd love to have a good '39.  Good luck,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

EarleJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 03:17:47 AM »
Hi, Pete!
Thank you so much for your reply!  Maybe I can coax someone else to teach me to drive the 9N.  My dad wouldn't teach me to drive his 8N either when I was growing up, but I was little then.  Both of these fellows were worried that the Fords could tip easily, but my pastures are very flat, so that shouldn't be an issue...and I'm not a bad driver! ;)

I'll visit the site you mentioned, and post any new developments.

Have a great fall day,
Julie :)

Pete P.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
Julie --

Sounds like a great plan.  Just be careful of the brakes -- 9Ns never did have good brakes.  As far as rollover hazards, I'd say the Ns are safer than a lot of other tractors of the era, e.g. Farmall letter series, John Deere, because they're wide front end and are relatively low to the ground.  Of course, there's no substitute for the original safety feature -- an operator with common sense. 

Just my $ 0.02

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

ontarioparts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
Assuming the tractor has not been sold by now, I would suggest that the ad be placed on tractorhouse.com

best reagrds
Marlon
Ford Tractor Parts