Author Topic: Power loss  (Read 6141 times)

Sam

Power loss
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »
I am new to the group and looking for help.

We have a 9n with Sherman transmission that is still a 6 volt.  Not used much except for brush hogging.  Just drop in the battery 3 or 4 times a year and we were off.

Using it a couple of months ago it was losing power.  Put in new Autolite plugs.  The front and back plugs we removed were heavily soiled.  Used it last weekend and still losing power.   Barely enough to pull itself.  When we lowered the brush hog the engine died.  Pulled the oil canister and contents were milky gray.

What is your diagnosis?  How can I confirm the problem?  Most importantly, the tractor is beat and rusted, but the children have named her "Bertha" and I would like to keep her running if practical.  What is the probable cost to fix her?

Thank you, in advance, for your advice. 

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: Power loss
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »
Sam --

Uh-oh.  Milky oil is generally a sign of water contamination.  Water contaminated oil doesn't lubricate worth a darn. Get that nasty oil and filter out of there, refill with fresh of course then do a compression test.  If some cylinders are good and others bad, look in the radiatior -- if you have oil in there you blew the head gasket.  Even if no oil in the rad. it's possible and consistent with your symptoms.   It could also just be tune up time, but that oil concerns me; whatever you do don't run it with bad oil. 

Good luck,

Pete P.

ontarioparts

• View Profile
Re: Power loss
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:13:22 AM »
It seems like you have several problems. The oil in water has been addressed by Pete. The "heavily soiled" plugs-I'm assuming that you mean oil? With these old tractors, it can be worn areas around the plugs, or plug gaskets that needs to be replaced, permitting oil to seep through, or it can be due to oil from the inside, due to worn liners and rings.

The plug gaskets can be easily replaced, or if the areas surrounding the plugs are damaged, then an insert has to be inputted by a machine shop.

Head gasket is $8.07 Ford 9N Head Gasket. The complete gasket set, or engine parts are also available.

regards
Marlon