Author Topic: Change out PTO seal  (Read 5289 times)

rluscomb

• View Profile
Change out PTO seal
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:21:35 PM »
Had leaky PTO seal removed and bearing were shot, have replacement bearings and top sleeve, can the bottom sleeve be replaced or should I leave it alone ??? Also decide to drop hydro pump to clean out  ;D should I break it down or just clean sludge at bottom of pan and blow out with compressed air? Any help or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: Change out PTO seal
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »
I guess I'm a bit fuzzy on what you mean by the top and bottom sleeve.  It's been a while since I've done a PTO shaft on an N but most folks get the shaft with bearings already pressed on -- if you're doing the bearings yourself (on 9n and 2n anyway) you have to split the bearing retainer collar to get the inner race off the shaft. 

As far as the pump goes, if it worked ok before, just clean the outside and she'll work fine upon reinstallation. Opening up a working pump is asking for trouble.

Hope this helps,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

lha

• View Profile
Re: Change out PTO seal
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:55:22 AM »
I would suggest getting an I&T F-O4 manual as it shows only one 'sleeve' to replace.An easy way to remove a pressed on sleeve is to drill 1/8' holes in a line parallel to the shaft,NOT all the to the shaft,then,with a sharp cold chisel,back side supported on anvil or vice,break sleave.replace sleave after installing bearings by heating and pressing on.lha