Author Topic: 22nd built  (Read 3808 times)

• View Profile
22nd built
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am looking to sell a Ford 9N.  The serial is 9N22 I 040.  Would it be worth more because of the serial?  If so how much?  What does the I 040 stand for?

Thanks in advance.

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: 22nd built
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
Before I hazard a guess, I wonder ...

Does your N have an oil line to the governor?  What shape are your radius rods, I-beam or tubular?  Where is your transmission dipstick, on the gear shift cover or on the right side inspection plate? 

I could be wrong, and please don't take offense, but I think it's possible your SN is 221040.  To my knowledge, Ford did not stamp any letters on the N serial numbers (other than N of course.)  Their font is wierd, though, and the 1s look like Is.  Also, the SNs are hand-stamped so the spacing is not uniform. 

I'm curious; let us know the characteristics above if you don't mind.  These small design changes can confirm an approximate age -- if they confirm my fear that your SN is 221040 then you can be fairly sure that's it.  On the other hand if they confirm an early 1939 model then  you indeed have a very early model and we have a puzzle with what the I and 040 mean. 

Look forward to your reply,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

lha

• View Profile
Re: 22nd built
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:39:33 AM »
From the sr#s you have a '46 2n.If it is an early 9n,it will have a cast aluminum grill and dash and other differences,like horizontal bars on grill. Having said that,many parts have been begged,borrowed,or stolen from others.The main thing to look for would be the dash,as it is not likely to have been changed out.---lha