Author Topic: 2N weird compression  (Read 5656 times)

Burt

2N weird compression
« on: November 19, 2009, 07:52:24 AM »
 ???
My 2N compression reads around 100 on cylinder 1 and 4 (the two end cylinders).  The two center cylinders are 40 and 50 compression.  I was told two things:  Bad head gasket or bad valves.

If it is valves, how can it be only on the center cylinders?

It runs good, starts good and performs well other than a little "chuffing," when decelerating.

If I were to pull the head, should I just go ahead and do the valves anyway?  What would Henry do?

Burt

Pete P.

• View Profile
Re: 2N weird compression
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 04:27:56 PM »
Burt --

OK, you're ahead of me.  Valves stick individually, it seems without a lot of rhyme or reason. 

I'd pull the head -- you can see if the gasket is faulty at that point.  If it is, good -- replace and reassemble.  If not -- do the valves.

Pete P.
Harborcreek,  Penna.

Burt

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »
Pete:

Thanks for your reply.  One thing I didn't mention is that I had at the time, the carburetor in for overhaul.  The new carb now does cause it to run substantially better without the "chuffing," noise.  However, that doesn't fix the compression.  Since it is close to Winter snow, I will let it be for the season and take the head off in the Spring and then do what is necessary from what I find there.

One friend recommended this in case, by milling the head, I do increase compression then I may have another problem created by that with the lower parts of the engine caused by new stress from the increased compression.  Good advice, I think, so I'll use it for snow removal and get the rest of it fixed later.

Thank you again.

Burt

ontarioparts

• View Profile
Re: 2N weird compression
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:24:53 AM »
Lots of tractors like these have had their engines and cylinder heads rebuilt back to original specifications, and are working just fine.

regards

Marlon
John Deere Tractor Parts