Ford Tractor Discussion > 9N,2N,8N, Ford Tractors

Electronic Ignition

(1/3) > >>

Squeak:
I'm installing an electric ignition from Pertronics. I have 6v + ground. The instructions say to ground the coil and run a wire from the module to the ign. switch. Right now the coil goes through ign. resistor and to the ign. switch. What I think they want me to do is take the wire off the coil and connect to module. This in a sense is connecting mod. to ign. switch. Then ground the coil. Is this confusing? I am.

younggeezer:
I sure wish someone would answer you.  I ordered mine kit yesterday so I'd like to know what to expect!!

jamesfpop:
I just got mine, but I have 12V Neg ground. Not much help am I. I will install this very soon.
James

Just finished the install today and the tractor runs GOOD.

To answer the above question: the wiring diagram might be correct. Did your kit come with a 'resistor coil'? If it came with a coil, it will have a resistance on the box label. If so it will wire directly through the ignition switch avoiding the resistor. This is how my diagram shows it, yours will be similar if it is "Pertronix." JP

younggeezer:
I installed mine.  Run the one wire from the module directly to the ignition switch, do not go through the resistor.  A wire from the top of the coil grounds to any good location on the frame. 

jamesfpop:
I installed the electronic ignition wires to the + and - poles on the resistor coil. I think the ignition wire is acually from the resistor, kind of in a hurry yesterday and did not look very close. I live 35 miles from the little jewel so I don't see it every day. Connected the coil and spark plug wires a few times, then it started. I had also replaced the plugs and wires at the same time. The only part not included in the kit is a rotor bug. I will replace it when I see the tractor again.

The funny thing is, the tractor did not want to start immediately after this change. I took everything apart twice and finally right before being forced to leave for work it started. Then I had to run it around the yard and pull some trees to see how it would pull. It did just fine.

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version